Two years ago, Air Canada promised a new Aeroplan loyalty program in 2020 and despite the unusual circumstances many travel-related companies find themselves in at the moment, they’re following through.
Two months ago, Air Canada announced a new revamped loyalty program would go live on 8 November 2020.
Two weeks ago, they announced a 48-hour “blackout” period before the program debuted saying:
As we prepare for the launch of a more rewarding Aeroplan program, some of the features and services you currently enjoy will be paused.
Between the evening of November 6, 2020, and the afternoon of November 8, 2020, Aeroplan will be temporarily unavailable. However, some features will be put on hold ahead of November 6, to make your transition more seamless.
Both aeroplan.com and the Aeroplan mobile app will be decommissioned as the transformed program launches. In the meantime, to ensure that you are ready to take advantage of everything the transformed Aeroplan has to offer, we encourage you to:
1) Download the latest Air Canada app so you can stay connected with Aeroplan on the go.
2) Log in to your Aeroplan account and ensure all your information is up to date.
Here is what you can expect:
- Flight Rewards – Flight rewards will be unavailable for new reservations, changes and cancellations between 6 November – 8 November. If you are traveling during this time or simply need help, contact the Aeroplan Contact Centre at 1-800-361-5373.
- Non-Air Rewards – You will be unable to redeem points for merchandise and other travel rewards during this blackout period.
- Crediting points – There will be a delay for crediting any points earned from flying with partners between 30 October and 9 November (but should automatically post on 10 November.)
- Star Alliance Upgrade Awards – All upgrade awards within the Star Alliance will be paused for Aeroplan members starting 31 October.
The new Aeroplan loyalty program will debut in approximately 48 hours, but there will be a blackout period between November 6-8 where Air Canada will run various tests and fine tune their program.
This program will be unlike anything we have seen from any program and presents some interesting options.
Personally, I think the program is a net win despite a handful of negative changes (for more details READ THIS).
It will (obviously) be a new program, so it will take some time to dig through and find the “gems” after the debut. And although we have an idea of how it works, we won’t know EXACTLY how the computer will price trips. Often, when a new program debuts, “sweetspots” are in plain site, and with so many Star Alliance award partners (below), I trust there will be more than a few.
|Aegean Airlines||Austrian||EVA Air||SWISS|
|Air Canada||Avianca||LOT Polish Airlines||TAP Portugal|
|Air China||Brussels Airlines||Lufthansa||THAI|
|Air India||Copa Airlines||Scandinavian Airlines (SAS)||Turkish Airlines|
|Air New Zealand||Croatia Airlines||Shenzhen Airlines||United|
|ANA||EGYPTAIR||Singapore Airlines||Juneyao Airlines |
|Asiana Airlines||Ethiopian Airlines||South African Airways|
Are you excited about the new Aeroplan loyalty program? If you see any sweet spots, let me know.
Let’s get straight to the point…some of the links on this site pay 1TattedPassport a referral bonus for anyone that is approved. For our complete advertising policy and details about our partners, please click HERE. Although using the links are completely optional, we are eternally grateful when you do.