Let’s get straight to the point…some of the links on this site pay 1TattedPassport a referral bonus for anyone that is approved. For our complete advertising policy and details about our partners, please click HERE. Although using the links are completely optional, we are eternally grateful when you do.
Every so often an opportunity presents itself in the travel world that is too good to pass up. And this may be it…
LEVEL UP WITH STATUS
I’ve written several articles discussing opportunities to use your loyalty status to secure status with another loyalty program. For example, you can use your hotel status in one chain to secure hotel status within another hotel chain, or even use hotel status to secure airline status or car rental status even if you’ve never rented a car before.
Recognizing you can obtain elite status simply by possessing a specific credit card, the opportunities are clear and endless.
Well, at the moment, you may be able to secure elevated Delta Air Lines elite status (through 31 March 2021) if you currently have elite status with one of five US domestic carriers.
This is how your current status will translate:
(with other airlines)
|Gold Medallion||Platinum Medallion||Diamond Medallion|
|Alaska Airlines||MVP||MVP Gold||MVP Gold 75K|
|American Airlines||Gold||Platinum||Executive Platinum|
|JetBlue Airways||Not applicable||Mosaic||Not applicable|
|Southwest Airlines||A-List||A-List Preferred||Not applicable|
|United Airlines||Premier Silver||Premier Gold||Premier Platinum|
For example, if you possess Alaska Airlines top-tier status (MVP Gold 75k), you will obtain Diamond Medallion status with Delta Air Lines though March 2021.
However, if you’re able to complete the following flight requirements before 31 March 2021, you will maintain the Medallion elite level status through 31 January 2022:
- Gold Medallion: Fly 2 qualifying roundtrip flights (or 4 one-way flights)
- Platinum Medallion: Fly 4 qualifying roundtrip flights (or 8 one-way flights)
- Diamond Medallion: Fly 6 qualifying roundtrip flights (or 12 one-way flights)
Depending on elite status, benefits can include: unlimited complimentary upgrades, waived baggage fees, and access to dedicated phone lines to assist with any questions you may have.
Note: If you’re interested in the full list of medallion benefits, CLICK HERE.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
As always there are some terms and conditions to be aware of:
- REGISTRATION is required (before 31 October 2020)
- Must have current elite status with Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, JetBlue Airways, United Airlines, or Southwest Airlines
- Elevated matched elite level status will expire on 31 March 2021
- Diamond and Platinum Medallion Choice Benefit selection(s) will not be available during the complimentary Medallion Status period
- Only Members that earn extended Diamond or Platinum Medallion Status through qualifying activity will be able to select Choice Benefit(s)
- Current elite status review period may take up to five business days
- Member will be contacted directly once credentials have been approved or denied
At the beginning of this post, I said that you MAY be able to secure elevated Delta Air Lines elite status.
The reason that I said “may” is because the promotion says “only members who receive this communication directly from Delta Air Lines are eligible to participate in this offer.”
I received this communication in my email box this morning, but I assume some members did not receive the communication directly from Delta.
Given this, if I had read about it elsewhere I would’ve attempted to register for it as it never hurts to try. In the worse case scenario, the loyalty program says “no” – which according to the communication should happen in less than 5 business days. In other words, with little effort, I would not have “lost” anything.
It’s also worth noting this is a rare opportunity. Similar to many airlines, Delta offers status matches but it typically translates to a different level. For example, Alaska Airlines top-tier status (MVP Gold 75k), typically translates into Platinum Medallion status with Delta Air Lines – not Diamond. To my knowledge, I don’t believe I’ve seen Delta offer Diamond Medallion status in a status match promotion before.
Are you planning to take advantage of this opportunity?