I have spent quite a bit of time canceling flights over the last few days and I imagine as airlines massively modify their schedules on a daily basis (depending on what country has recently closed their border), and having to change passenger itineraries, it’s a nightmare.
American Airlines Reduces International Flights By 75%
Let’s go through the changes by regions, as there’s not much left.
Understandably we’ve already seen huge cuts to Asia, as American Airlines’ flights to Beijing, Hong Kong, Seoul, and Shanghai, have been cut. With American Airlines’ latest changes:
- As of March 16, 2020, American will cut all service to Asia except 3x weekly Dallas to Tokyo Narita flights
- This means that flights from Dallas to Tokyo Haneda, Los Angeles to Tokyo Haneda, and Los Angeles to Tokyo Narita, are all being cut
AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND
American Airlines flies to Sydney and Auckland:
- American will suspend Los Angeles to Auckland flights as of March 16, 2020, rather than March 28, 2020
- American will suspend Los Angeles to Sydney flights from March 16 through May 6, 2020
With a full ban on Europe, we’re seeing huge flight cuts to Europe:
- American will continue operating one daily flight to London Heathrow from Dallas and Miami to accommodate passengers and crews
- American will suspend flights to London Heathrow from Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, and New York to accommodate passengers and crews
- American will immediately suspend flights to London Heathrow, Dublin, and Manchester, from Charlotte, Philadelphia, and Phoenix
South America is seeing huge route cuts as well starting today (16 March 2020):
- American is suspending flights to Rio de Janeiro and Georgetown from Miami and New York
- American is suspending flights to Sao Paulo from Dallas, Miami, and New York
- American is suspending flights to Santiago, Bogota, Guayaquil, Quito, and Lima, from both Dallas and Miami
- American is suspending service to Brasilia, Manaus, Barranquilla, Cartagena, Cali, Medellin, and Pereira, from Miami
We’re seeing airlines completely overhaul their schedules daily, and the changes are happening so often that I can’t even keep up, let alone understand how airlines are supposed to be able to rebook people fast enough, given the super long hold times on the phone, and lack of online rebooking options.
It’s not surprising to see American cut 75% of international flights. While American is adjusting their schedule significantly, they haven’t otherwise announced any major changes. For example, Delta has revealed massive domestic cuts, as well as plans to ground about 300 planes, while we haven’t seen as many adjustments of this type from American.