This morning the Marriott Bonvoy program announced their first new global promotion of 2020. It’s called the Marriott Bonvoy “Unlimited Bonus Points” promotion and registration is now open.
Personally, I think the promotion is weak but if you have Marriott stays planned, this could definitely save you a few bucks. Here are the details about the promotion:
- Earn 2,000 Bonvoy bonus points for each stay, starting with your second stay
- Valid for stays between 17 March & and 14 June 2020
- There’s no limit to how many bonus points you can earn
- All hotels globally are participating
- Award stays are not eligible for this promotion
- Registration is required by 31 May 2020
Is It Worth It?
Again, I think this promotion is weak, but here is my math. I value Marriott Bonvoy points at .8 cents each, thus 2,000 points are worth $16. In other words, starting with your second stay you’ll be earning the equivalent of $16 worth of points per stay up until June 14th.
You can think about this in two ways:
- If you stay at cheap Marriott properties, say, <$100, it can represent ok savings.
- If you stay in luxury Marriott properties, say, >$200, I would argue that, in the grand scheme of things, $16 probably doesn’t make that much of a difference or dictate whether you stay at that specific property.
Additionally, this promo is also better suited for individuals that are making short stays and are somewhat of a disadvantage for individuals that have extended stays.
As you know, I’m a “numbers guy” and if you’re like me and want to drill down a bit further, there are additional numbers to take into consideration including:
Points received for being a Marriott Bonvoy member:
- 10x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at most brands
- 5x Bonvoy points per dollar spent at Element, Residence Inn, and TownePlace Suites
Points received for being a Marriott Bonvoy Elite:
- Ambassador Elite members earn 75% bonus points
- Titanium Elite members earn 75% bonus points
- Platinum Elite members earn 50% bonus points
- Silver Elite members earn 10% bonus points
- Gold Elite members earn 25% bonus points
Finally, everything mentioned above does not include the points you can earn by using your credit card to pay for the hotel. You can earn up to 6x Bonvoy points per dollar spent using the Marriott credit cards, or up to 3x transferable points using cards from Chase Ultimate Rewards and Amex Membership Rewards.
|Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card [READ MORE] – Earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.|
|Marriott Bonvoy Business American Express Card [READ MORE] –Earn 75,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months.|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred Card – This is my favorite beginners travel rewards card which has a welcome bonus of 60,000 points (highest ever) after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.|
|Chase Sapphire Reserve Card – The current welcome bonus is 50,000 points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. But the points can be redeemed for 1.25 cents each towards a travel purchase.|
Again, this promotion is straightforward, not terribly exciting but an ok promotion, particularly if you’re a Marriott loyalist or simply have a few upcoming Marriott stays.
As always, go ahead and REGISTER NOW FOR THE MARRIOTT BONVOY “UNLIMITED BONUS POINTS” promotion. You’ll forget about this promotion in the next hour, undoubtedly book Marriott stays during the promotion period and miss out on extra points.
Overall, it’s better than nothing.
Do you have any upcoming Marriott stays? Does this promotion lead you to switch hotels?