Picture this…you arrive at your hotel and the check-in attendant upgrades you to a suite even though you booked the standard room (aka the cheapest). The attendant also mentions that you have access to the hotel lounge where free Hors d’oeuvres are being served right now. Last but not least, the attendant asks if the 4pm late checkout is ok for you?
Yes, Elite status has it’s perks!
MARRIOTT ELITE STATUS
For many years, I was an Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) loyalist. If you’re not familiar with SPG, it’s ok. Marriott bought them 3 years ago, combined the SPG loyalty program and the old Marriott loyalty program and made a new loyalty program called “Marriott Bonvoy.”
To achieve Marriott Bonvoy status, you have to meet the following thresholds:
- Silver Elite: Stay 10 nights / year
- Gold Elite: Stay 25 nights / year
- Platinum Elite: Stay 50 nights / year
- Titanium Elite: Stay 75 nights / year
- Ambassador Elite: Stay 100 nights / year + $20K annual qualifying spend
If you’re not a road warrior, those numbers can be mind boggling. However, Marriott has made it far simpler to experience those amazing perks that come with status by offering the Marriott Platinum Challenge.
THE FAST TRACK – HOW DOES IT WORK?
This Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Challenge is quite simple…
- Register for a free Marriott Bonvoy Account HERE
- Call Marriott Rewards customer service (801-468-4000) and register for the free Platinum Status challenge
- Stay 16 PAID nights within 90 days (award nights do not qualify)
- Enjoy Bonvoy Platinum Status within 48 hours of completion
When you call Marriott, you will be asked if you are completing the Gold or Platinum challenge. Gold requires 8 nights and Platinum requires 16 nights.
Important Note: Recent reports are indicating that the 90-day window doesn’t begin until the first day of the month following your enrollment. For example, if you register on September 5, 2019, you’ll have until December 31, 2019 to complete the required nights. However, I would verify this with the agent when you call.
BUT WAIT…IT GETS BETTER
If you do not have a Marriott Bonvoy account, you should sign up using THIS PROMOTION. It allows you to earn a free night award after two stays. I consider that…WINNING!
In my opinion, there isn’t much point in doing the Gold challenge because Marriott also allows you to earn Gold status via credit cards. For example…
Automatic Gold Status (just for having the card):
– Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card [Read More]
– The Platinum Card from American Express [Read More]
– The Business Platinum Card from American Express [Read More]
And just in case you’re wondering “can I just sign up for the Platinum challenge every year? 16 nights annually is waaayyy easier than 50 nights.”
Marriott only allows members to sign up for the Gold or Platinum status fast track once every three years (whether the previous one was successful or not) so stop being sneaky!
Do you plan on taking advantage of the status challenge?