It’s no secret that I transit Doha airport A LOT. It’s my preferred transit city if I have to go through the middle east.
It’s also no secret that Qatar Airways has the worlds best business class product, PERIOD! Qsuites are comfortable and private and the airline has amazing food and service. That sounds like a winning combination in my book and if I can finagle my travel plans to have this experience, I do it.
Qatar has begun to update the interiors of its planes at a faster than expected rate so depending on your dates of travel, you may find yourself in some real luxury. You’ll have to research which routes (if any) have Qsuites but even if you don’t get Qsuites, rest assure you’ll still be getting the best.
Qatar Airways runs sporadic specials throughout the year where they offer discounted mileage requirements for award bookings on specific routes.
There are a number of terms and conditions (listed below) but currently they are running this special:
Enjoy up to 50%* discount on redemption tickets
Book a redemption ticket from now until 31 December 2018 for travel from 1 February 2019 until 31 March 2019 and enjoy 50%* discount. Please ensure you login before you click on the Easy Deals destinations and don’t forget to enter the Promo Code EDEALS1218 during the redemption process. *Terms and conditions apply.
Redemption tickets terms and conditions:
● Only applicable on Qatar Airways Marketed and Operated flights.
● Discount applicable only for online redemption/award tickets redeemed at qmiles.com or Qatar Airways Mobile App.
● Booking Period: 13 December 2018 – 31 December 2018
● Flight Period: 1 February 2019 – 31 March 2019
● To enjoy this offer member needs to quote the Promo Code: EDEALS1218. Promo code is case sensitive.
● Percentage discount is applicable only on the eligible sector mentioned in the communication.
● If the eligible sector is a part of your literary then applicable discount (discounted Qmiles for the eligible sector) will be deducted from the total Qmiles required.
● Not valid in conjunction with any other offer.
● Redemptions are valid for anyone the member chooses. Each redemption may include up to 9 passengers on the same transaction.
● A member can redeem unlimited number of Easy Deals Awards.
● Regular award ticket terms and conditions apply. Changes in the ticket dates/route which are not promotional will be subject to the corresponding fees and additional Qmiles will be charged.
● If some sectors of the trip are not within the offer period or part of the promotional sectors, those sectors will be charged at regular Qmiles.
● Award seats are limited and subject to availability.
● Not valid for flexi awards
SO HOW DO I GET QMILES?
Hopefully, you have some Qmiles and can capitalize on some of these routes but if not, here is how you can obtain miles for the next time they have this sale…
Ways to earn redeemable Qmiles:
- Fly on Qatar Airways own plane, fly on a partner airline, make a hotel or car rental on QR website
- Transfer Citi Thankyou Points 1:1 to Qatar
- Transfer Marriott Points to Qatar (receive 5000-mile bonus for every 20000 points transferred)
29,000 miles for a one-way business class ticket from DOH-ARN (STOCKHOLM)…not bad at all!!!
Unfortnuately, there is no published award chart for flights on Qatar Airways booked with Qmiles. You will need to use their Qcalculator to determine the cost of an award. In my experience the calculator seems to be region-based but there are a few sweetspots (…I’ll post more about this in a future blog).
US-Doha, One-way: 35k/70k, 105k economy, business and first class, respectively.
US-Europe/India/Asia, One-way: cost 40k-47k in economy (inclusive of DOH layover)
The process to redeem Qmiles can be frustrating. For example, you need enough Qmiles in your account to do an online booking. If you plan to transfer miles from another program (thus don’t have enough miles in your account to book), you can call 1-800-988-6128 and request award availability. You will then tell the agent that you are searching for:
- “X” fare class for an award economy seat
- “U” fare class for business and first award seats. Note: First is not always operated.
One caveat: Agents are note about to tell you the taxes and fees for your route until you have the miles in your account. Transfer times from Citi and Marriott are not instant and you risk losing that award waiting for the miles to transfer.
So, who’s booking an award?